Sunday, May 29, 2011

Say I love you every day!

Today at district conference we were advised to do several things which would improve and strengthen marriages.
1. Say 'I love you' every day (not just 'ditto' Tane :) )
2. Go to bed at the same time (ha - with a wee baby that is near impossible)
3. Go on 'date nights'.
4. For husbands to buy their wives flowers and be romantic.

So today after conference I discussed this with Tane, and he asked 'I don't get what the big deal is with flowers - you can't eat them?' (Typical) Which made me laugh. And then I told him how flowers are beautiful and symbolise love and appreciation.

As I thought about these suggestions I was reminded of some of the gifts Tane has given me over the years. The last time Tane bought flowers for me was my final day as a trainee intern. I was working at a general practice in Blenheim and we were having morning tea. Tane appeared with a beautiful bouquet of flowers to congratulate me on completing my degree. I really loved them.

I must say though I was surprised last week when Tane returned home from work with a Hershey chocolate pie which is one of our favourite deserts. Burger King has just opened up here so it was a real treat. I was super excited, but when I opened it up was super disappointed to see it had been half eaten. I was about to question Tane for eating it when I realised it had been fully sealed when I opened it. So Tane went off to BK to return it and get another one.

My favourite gift Tane bought me was a tube of glue. It was one christmas and you may not think glue is a pretty good gift, but it was. Why? because he had really thought about me when he chose this gift. He didn't just buy any old glue, he bought glue for scrapbooking - which is something I enjoy doing. Then he attached a note to it which said 'You are the glue that holds our family together'. It made me realise that he not only had taken notice of the things I enjoyed but also that he appreciated me.

So even though flowers are few and far between, I do get sweet surprises from time to time - I can't complain about that.

No comments: